Sunday, November 9, 2008

Videodrome

I honestly don't really know what to think of David Cronenberg's Videodrome. I understand that the movie is focused on the overstimulation of primarily violence and sex through television and electronic media. This was in fact made quite clear throughout the entire film in extremely graphic ways, which I found too difficult to watch at times. Not only were these scenes practically unbearable to view, I also never imagined that I would have to watch something like this. I never wanted to put these types of images in my mind. Hopefully, I never have to see this or any other film like this one again. I'm sure there are many other movies that convey the same types of messages in a less graphic manner.

In this film, electronic media seems to dominate the culture, controlling the minds of its many viewers and influencing their thoughts and actions. This follows Marshall McLuhan's theory that people can be controlled through media. With printed text, for example, people were able to read the text and draw their own individual conclusions and interpretations from the message. This process is different in electronic media. Now, the information is instantaneous and reaches groups of people, not just the individual. Also, the media can be altered to send one uniform message to the masses, taking away the individual's personal interpretation.

Videodrome definitely does a thorough job of highlighting the problems that can occur from overstimulation through media. While I felt that this movie was completely over the top and unnecessarily graphic, I understand that it was trying to make a point. However, I believe this point could have been made just as easily in a less obscenely visual manner, which therefore could have reached more people. I for one would not have willingly picked this movie to watch, and with its R rating, I know there are many people who would avoid seeing this film. In today's culture, overstimulation is taking place with electronic media, as in violent video games, but it has not yet reached the level that is shown in Videodrome. I must say that I was completely disgusted with this film.

No comments: