Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Museum of Jurassic Technology

The Museum of Jurassic Technology was nothing like I expected. In fact, the content was not even close to what I had been anticipating seeing in this museum. The collection of this museum did not display what I had in my mind as technology, although it was technology. I had imagined that the museum would have possibly shown a timeline of inventions in technology that have lead to where technology stands today, but this was not really the case.

The museum was not a continuously flowing exhibit. It was broken up into many distinct categories. However, the museum was not just divided by designated categories, it was separated literally by the architecture of the building and the exhibits. Therefore, walls and categorical names created separate sections within the museum that did not obviously relate to the other exhibitions within the museum's collection.

I was definitely not expecting to see an entire section of the museum completely dedicated to the game of cat's cradle. In fact, it was hard for me to understand how this exhibit related to the others in the museum. I could understand how some of the exhibits in the museum related to each other and technology, but I could not say the same for this section of the collection. The cat's cradle exhibition stood out to me because, in my mind, it didn't really fit with the rest of everything else in the museum. Perhaps that is why it was placed on the second floor. I really don't know. Cat's cradle is just a little game that a lot of children play.

It is difficult for me to understand the thinking behind the Museum of Jurassic Technology. I do not fully understand how everything in the museum relates to each other, and in some instances, why some of the objects in the exhibits were significant enough to be in a museum. While I enjoyed exploring the museum, most of the time I was confused by its contents.

No comments: